Trying to lose body fat can be frustrating and overwhelming. When everything in your life seems to work against being healthier and more fit, sometimes giving up seems better.
You need to stop taking extreme measures and burning out quickly.
Start from where you are at and focus on doing simple things, repeatedly.
This sounds like it has a better chance of working than over-hauling your whole life in one day. Right?
If so, then lets get you started adding in a small amount of habits that you can handle and track your progress on. Only adding more when you have mastered one.
Try some of these tips out and start burning more fat without giving up your entire lifestyle or trying some crazy juice fast or insane boot-camp that leaves you in tears:
1. Eat more protein. We find most people do not eat enough. Now, you do not need to go eating bodybuilder amounts. Try and get 100-120 grams a day and make this the base of your diet. This trick alone will take you a long way towards achieving your dream bod goals.
2. Eat more fruits & veggies. One thing everyone can agree on is fruits and vegetables are good. Most people do not eat them.
Aim for 2 servings of fruit and an unlimited amount of greens and non starchy vegetables ( think peppers, cauliflower, onions, etc. ) a day. You can try blending some greens in a smoothie or mix in frozen spinach with ground beef to sneak them in if you are not a veggie lover.
3. Drink water. This is pretty self explanatory. Start your day with a glass of water and try and drink at least 60 ounces a day.
4. Walk More. This is the original form of exercise for us humans. It was how we got anywhere.
Start slow with trying to go for a 30-60 min walk every day. You can also use a step tracker and aim for at least 7,000 steps a day.
5. Lift weights. You don't have to do complicated Olympic lifts and advanced gymnastics. In fact most people can not do one single proper pushup and would benefit from mastering the basics first.
This should not be discouraging, either! Most trainers just won't tell you this because they are trying to impress you with the fancy instead of giving you what you truly need for safe, lasting results.
Doing stuff you see on youtube would be a dis-service. Focus on gradual progressions on easy to learn exercises with landmine units, dumbbells, kettlebells and bodyweight exercises.
6. Stop looking for the quick fix. How long did it take you to gain the extra fat? How much time, effort, and crappy meals did you consume and how many gym visits were you missing?
Add it all up and in all honesty you will understand it is going to take time to truly lose it. There are no quick fixes. The only thing that works is lifestyle change.
7. Do not fear carbohydrates. When you are training hard they are your friend and not to be feared. Stick to whole food forms in proper portions like potatoes, rice, oats, quinoa, and fruit.
8. Train with a group. It is more fun and keeps you accountable through the association of other like minded people working towards similar goals.
9. Stop eating when you are full. Seems simple enough, but we are all guilty of eating until we hate ourselves. Start practicing better awareness and listen to your body. Stop eating when you are satisfied and before you feel stuffed. You can use this in any situation. No need to feel guilty about eating a cupcake, but if you stuff yourself with them... losing fat is going to be hard.
10. Get enough sleep. Think of yourself as your cell phone. If you do not re-charge you will never reach your full potential. Aim for at least 7 hours a night.
11. Don't kill yourself. Every workout does not have to be some knock down, drag out fight that leaves you feeling like a zombie casting for "The Walking Dead". This does not work for long term sustainability and success.
12. Train for performance. If you are always focused on the scale and losing weight you will drive yourself crazy. Set performance goals like doing 15 perfect pushups, a real chinup, etc. and you will have something else to focus on. A smart training program will focus on making you better instead of smashing you into the ground week after week.
13. Don't keep junk food in the house. If it is your cabinets it will end up in your belly. Trash it and keep healthy, whole foods in your house. Go out to eat for treats and indulgences.
14. Consistency is key. One bad meal won't hurt you just like one good meal won't give you a six pack. Work on building your habits and losing fat with a sustainable approach that you can maintain for life.
15. Don't rush it. Yes, this is the same as #6, but it is important and we want to drill it in you so you don't get side tracked by a 5 day juice cleanse or something.
You can only lose at most 2 pounds of pure fat a week. Most people who go on crash plans gain everything back and end up even more frustrated.
Even if you only lost 1 pound week for a year that would be about 50 pounds of pure fat loss. I would also venture out and say that would be 50 pounds that is not coming back. Patience and true lifestyle changes are the key.
If you want to find out more about our gym and a program that incorporates all these tips then contact us and set up a free strategy session today!